When they surface once again, in the 1865 Massachusetts state census, it's only the children who are still named Bowlen. They are now in the household of Daniel W. Green, who appears to have married their mother and given them a half-sister:1
- Daniel W. Green, 28, b. Mass, laborer
- Mary A. Green, 32, b. Prince Edw Island
- Sarah W. Green, 4, b. Mass
- George W. Bowlen, 11, b. Mass
- Edward W. Bowlen, 10, b. Mass
- Annabel Bowlen, 6, b. Mass
- Caldwell Bowlen, 28, b. Nova Scotia (apparently another half-brother of the late George Bowlen)2
|1865 Massachusetts state census, Newburyport, Daniel W. Green household|
Daniel and Mary had three daughters:
- Sarah Worthen Green, b. 1861, parents D.W. & Mary Green (b. Clinton, Mass, and Prince Edward Island)4
- Idela F. Green, b. 1866, parents Danl & Mary (Campbell) Green (b. Clinton, Mass, and Prince Edward Island); d. 1866, age 8 mo 17 da, of water on the brain, parents David [sic] W & Mary A Green (b. Clinton, Mass, and Nova Scotia)5
- Mary F. Coffin Green, b. 1870, parents Daniel W. & Mary (Campbell) Green (b. Clinton, Mass, and Georgetown P[EI])6
|1870 U.S. census, Newburyport, Mass., Danl W Green household|
|Death of Daniel W. Green, 1879, Newburyport, Mass.|
|1880 Newburyport, Mass., city directory, listings for Daniel W. Green (deceased) and his widow|
|1880 U.S. census, Newburyport, Mass., Mary A. Green household|
Up to this point, we've seen no indication that Mary might be a Murphy. All the records so far appear to indicate that she was Mary A. Campbell (or possibly Mary M.?), born sometime between 1829 and 1836, either in Nova Scotia or on Prince Edward Island – with P.E.I. having a slight edge, both in number of references and the detail of Georgetown in two records.
So, why do I still think she might actually be a Murphy? Well, for starters, I can't find any George and Martha Campbell having kids in P.E.I. around the appropriate timeframe, nor is there any George Campbell in the 1841 or 1861 P.E.I. censuses. And then, there is the matter of her marriage to that third husband, some 18 years after Daniel's death, as well as Mary's death record. Stay tuned for "Mysterious Mary, Part 3: Mary (Murphy) Bowlen Green Bamber – GGG Aunt?".
(Note: This post is in response to Amy Johnson Crow's "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" challenge at No Story Too Small.)
- 1865 Massachusetts State Census, Essex County, Massachusetts, Newburyport Ward 5, unpaginated, dwelling 65, family 95, Daniel W. Green household; digital image, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org : accessed 17 Feb 2014).
- "Public Member Trees," database, Ancestry.com (http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/23464675/person/1662694820/ : accessed 16 Jul 2014), story "WC Bowlen Memories" attached to profile of William Caldwell Bowen, in "Huss - LeSage Family Tree," owner "LoriLesage167"; also public comments on the story, 16 July 2012, from Kenneth Bowlen.
- The Newburyport Directory... [year] (Newburyport, Mass.: Hosea T. Crofoot, 1864-73, 1877-79; Steven H. Fowle, 1874), entries for Daniel W. Green, p. 57 (1866), p. 51 (1869), p. 49 (1871), p. 52 (1873), p. 54 (1874), p. 53 (1877), p. 57 (1879); database and digital images, "U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989," Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 25 Apr 2014). There are no entries 1n 1864 for Daniel Green (p. 63) or for Mary Bowlen (p. 31).
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," database and digital images, New England Historic Genealogical Society, American Ancestors (http://www.americanancestors.org : accessed 18 Feb 2014), Newburyport, Essex, Mass., vol. 141, p. 306, birth of Sarah Worthen Green, 1861; citing “original records held by the Massachusetts Archives”.
- Ibid. (accessed 26 Apr 2014), vol. 186, p. 248, birth of unnamed female Green, 1866, and vol. 192, p. 202, death of Idela F. Green, 1866.
- Ibid. (accessed 18 Feb 2014), vol. 223, p. 277, birth of Mary Coffin Green, 1870.
- 1870 U.S. Census, Essex County, Massachusetts, Newburyport, p. 39 (penned), p. 183 (stamped), dwelling 297, family 311, Danl W Green household; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://search.ancestry.com : accessed 14 Feb 2014).
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910" (accessed 18 Feb 2014), Newburyport, vol. 310, p. 256, death of Daniel W. Greene, 1879.
- The Newburyport Directory, 1880-81 (Newburyport, Mass.: Hosea T. Crofoot, 1880), p. 57, entries for Daniel W. Green and Mrs. Daniel W. Green; database and digital images, "U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989," Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 14 Feb 2014).
- 1880 U.S. Census, Essex County, Massachusetts, Newburyport, ED 226, p. 13 (penned), p. 476 (stamped), dwelling 138, family 153, Mary A. Green household; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://search.ancestry.com : accessed 14 Feb 2014).
- The Newburyport Directory, [year]... (Boston: Sampson, Davenport, & Co., 1882-1884) and The Newburyport and Amesbury Directory, [year]... (Boston: Sampson, Murdock, & Co. 1886-1896), entries for Mrs. Daniel W. Greene (1882, 84, 86, 89, 91, 92) and Mary A. Greene (1894, 96); database and digital images, "U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989," Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 25 Apr 2014). All entries are for 41 Market Street. Also, George W Bowlen is listed as "boarding" at 41 Market in 1879, 1880, and 1882, and Edward W. Bowlen likewise in 1880.
- Sadly, George died at age 29 in 1884, like his father before him, of consumption. He and Fannie had no children, and she died only two years later, of septicemia.